Computer Aided Facilities Management (CAFM) has become a ‘must-have’ addition to any business serious about efficiency and productivity. The traditional requirements of building and asset management, combined with the need to deliver an array of ‘soft’ services, means that facility managers have an ever-increasing workload placed upon them. Combine this with the evolution of intelligent building design and sophisticated workplaces, and it is clear that a CAFM solution needs to be an integral part of your business processes.
The last decade has seen a significant development in the provision of CAFM. Facility Managers can no longer rely purely on an Excel spreadsheet to deliver an automated facilities management solution. A rapidly developing set of requirements has seen suppliers create CAFM systems that combine property management, asset tracking, maintenance planning, room booking space management, document control and help desk functionality.
Return on Investment (ROI)
Proving ROI is the key to getting buy-in for CAFM within your organisation. Typically, CAFM software users have seen a return on their investment within six months. While this usually measured in financial savings, companies also see return on investment through extended asset life, reduced service downtime, better stock control, higher productivity and improved utilities management.
So how do you ensure that senior management understands why a CAFM solution is needed and what the system can do to help? Here are 65 benefits to help you seal the deal.
Help Desk functionality provides a simple, efficient and reliable software solution for both reactive and planned maintenance. How would your business benefit?
- Soft & Hard Services managed side my side in one solution providing complete visibility
- Live monitoring of service levels to manage contractors
- Justification to the business of trades activity or need for additional resources
- Save money – don’t maintain assets that are under warranty
- Helps you manage Risks & Hazards
- Reports can assist with vendor negotiation / renewals
- Mitigate the risk of not knowing when service contracts are due to expire
- Provides easily accessible real-time information
Provide an efficient end-to-end management of maintenance by combining asset information with work plans and schedules and the resources required to fulfil maintenance tasks. Benefits include:
- Ensure compliance with statutory regulations
- Consequences of not maintaining can be catastrophic
- Reminders & Automatic Emails
- Resource Scheduling – ensure right skills available when required
- Mitigate asset downtime particularly for business critical assets.
Efficient asset tracking provides the facility to record, move and manage all of your asset data in an easy to use asset register, or as a tool to link with external asset data. Detailed information can be saved against each record and benefits are gained from the integration with other facility data. Further benefits include:
- Maintain full asset register for audit purposes
- Identify problem assets
- Maintaining assets that are within warranty costs money that could be saved and can invalidate warranties.
- Condition surveys – forward planning replacement costs
- Information to determine if assets need replacing or increased planned activity.
Stock Control should allow you to efficiently manage your stock, giving you real time analysis of stock levels and the current value of stock held. Key benefits include:
- Hold a complete view of all stock detail, including preferred supplier, last supplier, last price paid, bin location, reorder quantity, restock level and part number
- Save time by Integrating with purchasing to reorder stock Items
- Integration with Help Desk lets you allocate stock items to both reactive and planned work orders, improving your efficiency
- Specify a stock level that automatically triggers the reorder of an item
- Maintaining optimum stock levels to ensure you have the correct amount of stock when you need it and prevent overspend
- Provide senior management with stock taking functionality and stock management reports.
Your CAFM solution should let you integrate various business functions within the same software. What are the benefits of integrating room booking functionality?
- Generate and track unique booking references
- Easy to use booking process for single or multiple occurrence meetings integrated into Outlook
- Check real-time availability to eliminate double bookings
- Creating bookings online from any location directly into your CAFM system
- Gantt chart reporting view for all of your rooms
- Distribute associated documents, meeting notes and location maps
- Creates automatic work order tasks associated with the room bookings
- Easily create and assign associated booking charges
- You can even manage and book car parking spaces with standard booking reports providing vital information to reception to security staff
The efficient management of space within a building can have a huge impact on income to the building owner, or can be a massive cost burden to the occupier. A good CAFM solution can help in both situations.
- Use familiar AutoCAD tools to detail and manage your space allocation
- Automatically generate people, asset and property tasks in the CAFMCAD palette
- Seamlessly drop work space onto the drawing to highlight vacant, occupied, part times and hot desks
- Two way communication between facilities drawings and the database speeds up your planning processes – easily generate a ‘planning drawing’ for space planners to plan scenarios
- Easily track and report on occupied and vacant space
- Space calculations can be automatically updated within the database
- Most importantly, you have the ability to set up your database to charge departments for the space occupied.
Financial departments will demand you maintain an accurate view of all financial data associated with assets and facilities and that you accurately manage purchasing, invoicing, costs and budgets across contracts and projects. This is where your CAFM solution can help.
- Quickly import data from 3rd party financial software, export to a data file or setup two-way communications with your financial software
- Easily track your costs through multi-level hierarchy of budgets, contracts and projects
- Create transparent views of the full facilities spend and generate single or multi-line purchase orders
- Easily navigate, search and view all budget information.
- Understand the cost of your projects – projects functionality enables tracking of project spend, key dates and stakeholders
- Match invoices against specific purchase orders
- Distribute key information to stakeholders immediately
- Schedule a multitude of financial reports or use ad-hoc reporting as required.
- Create automatic alerts for contract renewals
- View real time information and manage your contractor details
- Access negotiation information to support the best possible terms
- Save time and avoid wrong contract assignment on your assets
- Immediate reports showing department allocation of spend, including tracking of budget versus actual spend.
Property Management and Service Provider Monitoring
As well as the cost benefits listed above, your business may be managing third party contractors and service providers. A good CAFM solution makes this task more efficient:
- Maintain contractor performance reports for senior management
- Performance reporting helps with your contract negotiation, which in turn can save you money
- Prove to auditors you are only using service providers with valid insurance by using your software to hold details on contractor public liability insurance details, and receive notifications when those are set to expire
- Maintain up-to-date records of leases, rents and tenures, with alerts set to ensure you do not miss renewals
- Document storage allows you to hold records against all assets, and hold full asbestos registers and hazard documentation.
Any CAFM solution should have an intuitive web based interface giving access to key help desk and room booker functionality from any web-enabled device. This benefits both end users and engineers:
- Self Service functionality reduces admin time, provides better end user information and gives an optimised user experience
- Provides a 24 / 7 service including out of hours without any time lag
- Real time & accurate updates reduces the need for repeat calls to the helpdesk
- Provide your engineers with risk alerts – make sure no one performs high risk work without full information
- Delegate the responsibility of work activities while still maintaining a full audit trail
- Optimise your key workers’ time
- Anytime, anywhere. Web based functionality means you are not limited by devices so no need for expensive hardware investment.
Every business will have different needs and requirements – this is where an all-in-one solution such as CAFM Explorer can help. CAFM Explorer offers you help through the initial setup phase, has provision for online and mobile access, provides ongoing support, has a visible product development timeline, key software partnerships (with companies such as Microsoft and Autodesk) and excellent case studies and feedback. We believe these points, combined with a huge rage of included extras, set CAFM Explorer apart.
CAFM Explorer not only solves the challenges faced by today’s facility manager, it can also enhance a business’ profitability and efficiency by simplifying processes and enhancing decision making.
CAFM Explorer is an all-in-one facilities management software solution – to learn more about how CAFM Explorer can be of benefit to your business, please visit www.cafmexplorer.com or call 0870 3337101.